Sunday, May 15, 2011

go forth and set the world on fire

Well, haven't been as good as I should be with this whole blogging thing...Guess I'm still working on trying to make time for myself...


Having a scary panic attack that lead to an ER visit on Wednesday night, made me realize that something wasn't right...


As many of you know (and some who don't) I've been recovering from a really bad year of depression.  All consuming, frustrating, and confusing time of my life.


However, these past few months, with help from therapy and my amazing friends and family, I started to feel better again. Wanting to get out of bed and take a shower, eating healthy, exercising, laughing, being happy, etc.  


And as usual, once I was feeling well again, I wanted to do EVERYTHING.  Which is where the pitfall lies...Waking up at 6 am, and going until 10pm without a minute to breathe, one can only imagine how this might lead to a mini breakdown.   


Well, these experiences have taught me something very important:  to make time for myself.  However, being from a hard working protestant background and a father who is 82 years old (retired) and tells me every time we talk that he is "working on his last project", "time for oneself" seemed wrong to me, it made me feel like I was being lazy, etc etc


However, I realize that I am worth a 5 minute meditation in my morning.  I am allowed to take a day off of work and not worry about being productive.  I deserve to take myself to a garden and just lay down and smell what is around me...


I guess what I am trying to get to, and the lesson of the day, month, year, lifetime is this:   its VITAL to slow down, take life in, and BREATHE...because YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!




thought i would share some links, if anyone lives in the LA area, here are a few great spots to check out and check out ;-)


UCLA Japanese Garden



Huntington Botanical Gardens (amazing!)



Lake Shrine Temple in Pacific Palisades



UCLA Meditation Center (MARC)



slow down, and as cliche as it may sound, smell the roses :-)






Love,


Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment